Friends of Onancock School
Annual Report 2016 - Executive Summary
Presented to Onancock Town Council 2/27/2017
The Friends of Onancock School are entering our 10th year in our quest to establish the Historic Onancock School and the 13 acre grounds as a vital and vibrant cultural and community center to benefit the Town of Onancock and the citizens of the entire Eastern Shore of Virginia. To date, much work has been accomplished to stabilize and improve the school building and to enhance the condition of the grounds. That work certainly continued during 2016. Highlights from 2016 are as follows:
• Replaced old HVAC system in main conference room with mini -split units.
Removal of the old system from the roof allowed for repairs to that section of roof and subsequent rental of the classroom impacted by leaks.
• Completed repairs to several areas of the building that suffered from water damage.
• Completed the renovation of an unused restroom into a service kitchen which has increased the use of the conference room for community and family gatherings.
• Revenue in excess of $71.4K, including $44.3K in studio rentals, $10.3K in fundraising income,
$4.6K in Special Event income and $12K in donations and grants income.
• Expenses of $79.3K, including almost $27K in building maintenance and enhancements, some of which were to have been completed in 2015, but were not accomplished then. Also included $18.3K in payroll expenses and $13K in utilities costs.
• Bank balances in excess of $61.1K at end of 2016.
• 2017 Budget approved with balanced revenues and expenses.
Building and Grounds Use:
• 100% of first floor studios rented; 60% of basement rented.
• In excess of 7,800 people visited or attended functions on the grounds or in the Historic Onancock School building during 2016.
• Completed a review of and updates to By Laws, and increased effectiveness of the Board.
• Increased hours and responsibilities of Office Manager.
Looking forward to 2017:
• Continue to build an active and committed FOS Board of Directors.
• Develop FOS 5 Year Strategic Plan.
• Revitalize partnership with the Town of Onancock.
• Continue to address Engineering Study recommendations for building repairs.
• Continue to increase the usage of the building and grounds and the importance of the Historic Onancock School to our town and our community.